Monday, April 22, 2013

Quote of the day: Bill Clinton on Marriage Equality

Setting aside the way that President Clinton screwed over the gay community when he was president (though to his credit, he tried to keep his promises. Compromises and all...), he's been very outspoken in his support of marriage equality.

While accepting the GLAAD “Advocate for Change” award, Clinton in part, said this:

"I want to keep working on this until not only DOMA is no longer the law of the land, but until all people, no matter where they live, can marry the people they love. For example, when I flew here from New York, I knew I’d still be married when I got here. Heck, I’m going to Texas next week to George W. Bush’s library dedication, and I’ll still be married when I get there."

The issue of leaving marriage up to the states is exactly this. Married is married. Period. 

Other people who were discriminated against in marriage on a state by state basis?

Inter-racial marriage (are you paying attention, Clarence Thomas?).

Would it interest Thomas to know that if he flew to Alabama in 1999, he wasn't married, even though he got married in 1987? That's right. A Supreme Court Justice of the United States of America was not considered married in Alabama until 2000. I sure hope he remembers this when he's considering the case before the Court now.

And it's nice that Clinton is trying to get DOMA repealed, since he signed it into law and all.

You can watch President Clinton's entire speech here.

No comments:

Post a Comment