Monday, September 19, 2011

Take THAT, Marie Claire

Last October, when Marie Claire unapologetically published Maura Kelly's article disparaging Melissa McCarthy and Billy Gardell, stars of Mike and Molly, it drew the outrage of people everywhere. With statements like, "I think I'd be grossed out if I had to watch two characters with rolls and rolls of fat kissing each other ... because I'd be grossed out if I had to watch them doing anything," and pulling the "some of my best friends are..." card with this: "I have a few friends who could be called plump," Kelly showed her insensitivity and frankly, prejudice against people who are overweight. Many responded that they liked seeing couples that looked like them. And loved the idea that you didn't have to be a pretzel to have love. Overwhelmingly in the comments and in the media, she was derided for her blatant sizeism.

Well, last night at the Emmy's, the television industry gave Marie Claire the proverbial middle finger, and the Emmy went to Melissa McCarthy for best actress in a comedy.

Apparently, America is ready to see a show about people who, yes, are overweight, and yes, while a bit wacky, represent a growing percentage of the population.

So take that, Marie Claire, for your nasty, intolerant, snooty point of view. I believe you were just smoked.

(And congratulations to Melissa McCarthy for helping make Mike and Molly a hit show).

No comments:

Post a Comment