Thursday, September 22, 2011

The breakdown of civilized society

Seriously, I don't even know where to start with this one. I noted (on my personal blog - sorry, no link) how appalled I was at the celebration of Bin Laden's death. Yes, I definitely felt a sense of relief, and even gladness that the world had been rid of such an awful person. And incredible pride in our military servicemen and women - especially the SEALs, but truly, all of them. But I also commented on how uncomfortable I was with the idea of celebrating someone's death in the streets (because isn't that just what the terrorists do? And if so, what does that make us?). And I wasn't sure how to explain such a scene to my two teenaged children.

Then I noted here how awful I though it was that the Simi Valley audience clapped and cheered at Rick Perry's 234 executions in Texas, and yet all these folks still call themselves "pro-life".. And yet again at how awful it was that nobody said a word as an audience at a presidential debate yelled "Let him die! Yes!" at the idea of an uninsured critically ill man who had put his time and money into the system, but was now hard on his luck.

Even Jimmy Carter has gotten involved in the capital punishment discussion, saying he hopes "this [Troy Davis] tragedy will spur us as a nation toward the total rejection of capital punishment." And adding, "if one of our fellow citizens can be executed with so much doubt surrounding his guilt, then the death penalty system in our country is unjust and outdated."

Now, I'll say this, and I've said it before. I'm not sure that I approve of capital punishment, unless perhaps there is incredibly strong, indisputable physical evidence (such as DNA) PLUS the accused/convicted's confession, PLUS, oh, I don't know what else would convince me. Likely nothing, now. But it's sure not a man who proclaimed himself innocent even as the needle was going in his arm, and in that case where 7 of the 9 witnesses recanted their testimony, and where there was really no physical evidence at all. But, yes, Troy Davis was executed by the State of Georgia at 11:08 pm last night.

And the inappropriate celebratory reaction to this execution is what made me even angrier.

I give you Ann Coulter (and please, take her!):



I am so disgusted by her today - yes, even more than I usually am - and that's saying something. I truly have no words for this. I'm sure I'll come up with them later, but for now? I got nuthin.

No comments:

Post a Comment