Friday, April 27, 2012

Uniting against the very real war on women



Tomorrow, I'm setting aside all my other plans and I'm exercising my right to free speech, to peacably assemble and to redress my grievances by participating in the March Against the War on Women. Why am I doing this? Well, because of this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and this.

This.


My wonderful husband is coming with me, and my kids might come as well. They support the cause, but they're teenagers, and they have better things to do on a Saturday morning, like sleep. But I truly want them to come. I want them to see what kind of rights they have as American citizens (while they still have any rights!).

I want them to know that they don't have to take discrimination lying down. That they have a voice. That our officials work for US, not for their corporate sponsors. Our elected (and unelected) officials are behaving like pro athletes. Prima donnas who kowtow to their corporate sponsors *coughKochBrothersALECcough*. And that is unacceptable.

But mostly, my sons are becoming men. Men who have amazing girlfriends, who will have amazing wives, mothers-in-law, daughters, daughters-in-law, nieces. Men who have female friends, female cousins. Men who are affected every day by the amount of money their wives can earn, their wives' healthcare, their wives' legal rights.

I imagine my future daughters-in-law. They will be fun-loving, strong women. They'll have a strong sense of self, and of social justice. I can't see my boys with any other kind of women.

I want these women to be safe. Secure. Autonomous. Over their bodies and their lives.

So to protect that, I will engage in civil disobedience. I will exercise my right to assemble, to vote, to yell and scream about injustice.

I hope that the LAPD has a modicum of self-control. But I'll be prepared to be pepper-sprayed, arrested, shoved, pushed, and altogether belittled and patronized.

With my husband and children at my side. Nothing says sexy like a man willing to battle for his woman. Nothing says sexy like a man willing to battle for his woman's rights to be her own person. A man who has a strong sense of social justice, and is willing to do something about it. Just because I want equality and autonomy doesn't make me a man hater. I love men. I adore my husband and children, my brother, my brothers-in-law, my father. I adore them all. But I adore them because they are amazing human beings, and in the case of my hubby, also because he's hot. Yes, I went there. It's my blog. And guess what? I can think my husband is hot and still think I deserve equal rights. Huh, go figure.

I urge you to find the march in your area and participate in the democratic process, with or without a hot man.

So I'm all set for tomorrow. With one exception.

What should my sign say? I need something clever, pithy, biting, and TRUE.

Help a girlfriend out. What should I put on my sign?

No comments:

Post a Comment